Saturday, February 18, 2017

Disrupting the Big Boys with One-Stop Video Editing


My partner and I were working on putting together ‘explainer’ videos for two companies that we work with. An explainer video is usually between 60-90 seconds long and using images and cartoon–type characters briefly explains the company’s operations, philosophy or business model. In todays’ complex tech environment these have popped up on many websites.

My partner has used outsourced ‘agencies’ in the past and told me they can be produced for around $350 each versus the $1500+ in Vancouver (certainly a local agency charges at least an order of magnitude more). I’ve used offshore creative agencies to do work for me in the past. The work is always unbelievably cheap and the turnaround is appealing because if you’re using India or China there’s a 12-13 time shift. I give them a job near the end of my workday and it’s ready by the next morning – ideal! I’d also say the work is often of reasonable quality if your supplier speaks English very well.

I opted to hire a new offshore producer in Pakistan to do my two explainer videos at a total cost of $175 CDN. What a deal!

The problem I’ve found is that they don’t always understand everything you say, and even with the best-written instructions jobs just don’t make the grade. I had hired a Chinese freelancer to tweak a logo redesign for $15. "Astounding!" you might say, but it’s not what I wanted. They all say they are happy to redo the work and they will do so enthusiastically, but in the end, the task cannot compare to what I can get from an established agency in metro Vancouver who understands not only what I need but also what I don’t even know that I need.

Back to my ‘Made in Pakistan’ video production, the graphics were awesome, but I didn’t get the western flavor I needed. They did have a choice of narrators, and I had a sample voice to choose from. I got them very cheaply, but the process was so arduous that I didn’t send them back for an edit, I just accepted them as is and moved on. Every time my forgiving client plays them, I will forever think how the videos could have been better. My client thought they were ok, but I was disappointed.

Read more at: https://www.equities.com/news/disrupting-the-big-boys-with-one-stop-video-editing

Related article: Video editing software

No comments:

Post a Comment